Preparing Your Car
Preparation is essential to a smooth and timely transport. If you don’t properly prepare your vehicle for the transport process, it could end up costing you (in the form of preventable damage to the vehicle) and time (if the driver is delayed due to lack of preparation)
Preparing your car for the trip doesn’t require much time or any money. Just remember to follow the steps below and to ask if you have any questions in regards to your vehicle preparation:
- A clean vehicle is very important. There’s no need to spend hours of your time or lots of money to have your vehicle detailed, however it does need to be clean enough so that the physical inspection can be conducted thoroughly on the day of shipping. A simple drive-thru wash or a quick at home car wash is sufficient enough. Just so the body of the vehicle is easily visible for the drivers inspection.
- A full inspection will be performed prior to shipment. You must be present for the inspection and will be required to sign the bill of lading and a vehicle condition report; the bill of lading will be received both at the point of origin and at the vehicles destination. It is in your best interest that you are at this inspection yourself. Any discrepancies on the condition report upon delivery must be marked on the condition report and signed.
- Personal Items: Do not leave or transport anything valuable in your vehicle. Gas Motor Sports is not responsible for anything loose inside your car, including cell phones, radar detectors, removable radios, household goods, sunglasses, etc. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) prohibits the carrying of personal items on a truck licensed only for carrying automobiles. Stored personal items can also increase the overall weight of your vehicle, and could cause damage during transport. Any items left in the vehicle are subject to removal upon inspection at state lines by the DOT.
- Keys: U.S. Department of Transportation requires that one set of all keys for the vehicle is provided to the carrier, including the ignition, trunk, and glove box keys.
- Antennas: Antennas should be lowered or removed. Temporary antennas for cell phones or CB radios should also be removed.
- Alarms: Alarms should be turned off for transport. If there are special instructions required to start a car in order to disarm the alarm, please inform your driver picking up your car. Gas Motor Sports is not responsible for drained batteries resulting from an alarm that has not been turned off.
- Racks: Remove any luggage, bike, or ski racks that are not permanently attached to the car.
- Cracked Glass: Should the vehicle glass have a nick, scratch, chip, crack, or other imperfection, Gas Motor Sports or its agents will not be responsible for damage caused by any preexisting condition.
- Climate: Make sure your car is prepared for any climate. Replenish coolants, transmission oil, antifreeze and other fluids, as needed. GAS Motorsports LLC is not responsible for preventable damage caused by Acts of Nature.
- Spoilers: Spoilers, fairing, air dams or other low hanging items should be removed, or sufficient clearance assured, to expedite loading on the rail and truck ramps.
- Caps/Canopies: Caps and canopies on pickup trucks must be properly bolted to the box of the truck to ensure a safe delivery
- Locations: Make sure that both your pickup and drop off locations is tractor trailer accessible. A 75-80 ft. truck must be able to maneuver to and from each address. If they are not accessible by the truck the customer/driver will suggest the closest meeting point to load or unload the vehicle (parking lot, shopping center.)
- Pickup/Delivery Times: Be sure that you have chosen locations that allow someone to be present to accept the vehicle. Can vary by appointment
- Contact Times: Be sure contact persons are available by phone from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 pm on Saturdays and be sure that the phone numbers you provide are direct lines to those persons. Cell phones are usually the best. Pagers or voice mail numbers cannot be accepted.